A large new world awaits your group just 65 miles north of Duluth. Stretching from Aurora-Hoyt Lakes on the eastern edge to Grand Rapids on the western edge lies the great Mesabi Iron Range, a resource that literally enabled the United States to become the envy of the World. Iron Ore – past & present – is the main attraction. Huge open pit mines and deep underground mines ignite historic images. Evidence of industrial, natural and ethnic greatness along with modern mining technologies is everywhere. Reasonably priced, group-friendly accommodations plus warm friendly welcoming local people make for a very enjoyable group tour.
A few of the numerous Iron Range stops to be considered your itinerary:
– Bob Dylan’s boyhood home (Hibbing)
– Hibbing High School (Hibbing)
– Giants Ridge (Biwabik)
– US Hockey Hall of Fame (Eveleth)
– Fortune Bay Resort & Casino (Tower)
– Bois Forte Heritage Center and Cultural Museum (Tower)
– MN Discovery Center (Chisholm)
– Sax-Zim Bog – for Birding (Meadowlands)
– The Superior National Forest Scenic Byway (connecting the Iron Range to Lake Superior)
Try the Iron Range PASTY FESTIVAL (10/9/2021) – in Mountain Iron
Enjoy everything pasties – traditional meat pies featuring beef, pork, potatoes, carrots, rutabagas and onions wrapped in a flaky crust and eaten plain or with accoutrement such as gravy, butter or catsup – served and family activities 3-6pm (scavenger hunt, rutabaga bowling, Mrs. Rutabaga Head contest, s’mores by the fire & music). At 6pm the beer tent opens, still serving pasty meals till 7, 6:30 presentation fundraiser for local food activities through Iron Range Partnership for Sustainability. Dine in or take out!